How do you pack for a bushwalk?
24 March, 2023
When packing for a bushwalk, it is crucial to consider the weather, the terrain, and the length of the hike. A well-constructed, large backpack with adjustable straps and plenty of compartments is best for a bush walk. This allows you to carry all the necessary items in an organized manner, while still being comfortable to wear. Look for a waterproof material or cover to protect your items in case of rain.
1. Start with the basics. Pack clothing suitable for the weather, such as a rain jacket if it is likely to be wet, and multiple layers if the temperature is likely to change. Make sure to bring extra clothing in case of unforeseen changes in weather.
2. Pack sturdy shoes that provide good support and traction, as well as a hat and sunscreen to protect from the sun. It’s important to choose shoes that offer good traction and support. Look for shoes with a good grip, preferably ones made of waterproof material. Hiking boots are a good choice, as they provide additional ankle support. If you are going on a long walk, it might be worth investing in a pair of lightweight walking shoes with good tread for “non hiking” times. Whatever shoes you choose, make sure to break them in before the walk to ensure the best fit and comfort.
3. Bring plenty of water and snacks, as well as a first aid kit and a map of the area. Ideal snacks for a bush walk include trail mix, dried fruit, and energy bars. These snacks are lightweight and easy to carry and provide a good energy boost when you need them most. Make sure to pack enough food and water for the duration of your walk, as well as any necessary medications.
4. Pack emergency supplies, such as a whistle and a lighter, in case you get lost. Other things you must also bring are:
-First aid kit
-Map of the area
5. If you’re camping, bring a tent, sleeping bag, and other necessary items.
The type of tent you need for a bush walk depends on the length and type of the walk. If you are planning a short day hike, you can get away without a lightweight, one-person tent. These tents are made from lighter materials and are easy to set up and take down. If you are planning a longer walk and intend to camp overnight, a larger, two-person tent will be necessary. For a longer walk, you should also look for a tent made from waterproof material, with a reliable and easy setup.
A sleeping bag is also an essential item for a bush walk, especially if you are camping overnight. Look for a sleeping bag made from lightweight and waterproof material to keep you warm and dry. Synthetic or down-filled sleeping bags are the best for warmth and insulation. Choose a sleeping bag with a temperature rating that is appropriate for the climate you will be in. Make sure to choose a sleeping bag that is big enough to fit your body comfortably, with room to move around.
6. Finally, don’t forget to pack a camera to capture the beautiful scenery! Choose a camera bag that is comfortable, lightweight, and waterproof. It should have enough space to store your camera and all its accessories.
-Extra batteries/chargers: Bring extra batteries/chargers for your camera in case the ones you have run out of power.
-Lens cloth: A lens cloth is essential for keeping your lenses clean and free of dust and dirt.
-Tripod: A tripod is useful for taking long-exposure shots, such as night shots.
-Extra memory cards: Bring extra memory cards to store your photos, just in case you fill up the one you have.
-Lens filters: Lens filters can help reduce glare and protect your lens from damage.
-Camera strap: A camera strap can help keep your camera secure and easily accessible.
You might also like these posts