SACE Learn to Surf Lessons
Beyond the Classroom is part of Surf & Sun, a leading adventure tourism and outdoor education provider in South Australia. Surf & Sun is a multi award-winning licensed surf school operating surf lessons at Middleton, Moana, Goolwa, Robe, Kangaroo Island and Yorke Peninsula for school groups.
Qualified and fun surf instructors
All of our instructors hold senior first aid, Level 1 surf coach certificates, surf rescue certificates and working with children police clearance certificates. Numerous Surf & Sun instructors are also qualified school teachers specialising in outdoor education so they understand the importance of making lessons fun, interactive and adaptable.
School Surf Lessons
We can offer one-off group surf lessons for 2 hours, or ‘Learn to Surf’ specialty school camps that are 3-5 days in duration depending on requirements and can be inclusive of activities, accommodation, catering, transport and more depending on each schools requirements.
We can run programs based on SACE and other criteria if requested and required by each school. For example, in Stage 2 Physical Education, we can integrate a Practical Assessment into a surf lesson to test for proficiency in the performance of physical activities, and interpretation and application of skills, specific concepts, ideas, strategies, and techniques, in a practical context.
Benefits of SACE Learn to Surf Lessons for students:
• Learning about Surf Safety - Ocean awareness - Coastal preservation
• Learning correct board riding technique - How to care for equipment - General surf etiquette
• Act independently to demonstrate initiative and improvement where appropriate (e.g. practice drills, games, equipment handling etc.)
• Overcoming fear
• Initiative, self-reliance, and leadership in practical activities
• Interpersonal and collaborative skills in team situations
• Demonstrate determination and perseverance in all practical tasks
• Having fun!
Surf Safety "In Classroom" Surf Lessons
We can also incorporate an "in classroom" surf lesson in South Australia prior to a lesson or surf camp - we come to your school and teach about surf safety, how to ready weather charts and more.
A sample of the surfing-related skills students will learn:
• Wave Negotiation and Judgement
• Wave Riding
• Employ a range of safety strategies involving self, others and the environment
If you would like to discuss any aspect of School Surf Lessons, please get in touch with us today! We can also incorporate other team building activities onto a Surf Lesson such as ‘Survivor-style’ team challenges, raft building or leadership camps.