Food ideas for bushwalking
14 June, 2023
Bushwalking is a great way to explore the outdoors and get some exercise. To make sure you have enough energy for your walk, it’s important to bring along some nutritious snacks.
Here are some food items to consider bringing along:
1. Nuts and seeds: Nuts and seeds provide a great source of energy, healthy fats, and protein. Pack a variety of nuts and seeds, such as almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds.
2. Whole grain crackers or granola bars: Whole grain crackers and granola bars provide a great source of complex carbohydrates and fiber. Look for bars and crackers that are low in added sugars.
3. Dried fruits: Dried fruits are a great way to get a sweet snack without having to carry around a ton of weight. Look for dried apricots, dates, apples, mangoes, and cranberries.
4. Cheese and lean meats: Cheese and lean meats provide a great source of protein and calcium. Look for leaner meats, such as turkey or chicken, and low-fat cheese. Just remember you don’t have refrigeration so make sure they are smoked or cured meat.
5. Trail mix: Trail mix is a great way to get a variety of nuts, seeds, and dried fruits. Make your own mix with your favorite ingredients or buy a pre-made mix.
6. Protein powder: Protein powder is a great way to get a convenient source of protein while you’re out on the trail. Look for a powder that has a clean ingredient list and is low in added sugars.
7. Dark chocolate: Dark chocolate provides a great source of antioxidants and is a great way to satisfy a sweet tooth. Look for dark chocolate bars with a high percentage of cacao.
For overnight hikes, there are amazing dehydrated meals you can get.
Now that you have a list of food ideas to bring for your planned bush walk, it is also important to pack them properly.
When packing food for a bush walk, it’s important to have a bag that is lightweight and durable.
The best type of bag for bushwalking is a lightweight, waterproof backpack or daypack. Make sure the bag has plenty of compartments and pockets to store your food items and that it is easy to access.
Additionally, it’s important to bring along a separate bag for food waste to help keep the environment clean.
You might also like these posts